Riverview Medical Center began as a small community hospital and has developed into a destination of choice for its health professionals, technological advances, and beautiful location.
Riverview Medical Center began its relationship with the community as a 29-bed hospital.
Today, Riverview boasts technological advances and an exceptional team of health professionals who have revolutionized patient care.
Following are some key moments from our history which speak to our development and establishment as a destination of choice for health care in the region:
- Red Bank Hospital was founded in 1928 in a small, renovated boarding house located on Union Street in Red Bank. It had 29 beds, one operating room, a delivery suite and facilities for six newborns. During a two-week period in November of that year, 40 patients were admitted to the hospital and expenses for nursing salaries, groceries, gas and electric totaled less than $500.
- In 1929, the Board of Trustees sponsored a contest to change the name of the hospital to one that better reflected the broader community it served. Several names were suggested by board members: County Hospital, General Community Hospital, Navesink General Hospital, Mount Mitchell Hospital, and Shrewsbury Hospital. A Mrs. Joseph Asay, the sister of Frank Leslie, an electrician from Fair Haven, chose the name of Riverview Hospital and the Board approved. She was awarded a silver cup for her efforts and that cup remained in her family until her death, when it then came into the possession of Riverview.
- Throughout the 1930s, 40s and 50s, Riverview was more often in a state of construction and expansion than not. Wings were built, technology was acquired, and beds were added, all of which were very generously supported by community gifts. In 1957, a campaign was created to raise $1,170,000 to build a new wing.
- The 1980s were a time of many changes at Riverview. The Women & Children’s Pavilion was redesigned to create beautiful private maternity suites, many with a view of the Navesink River. The Riverview Rehabilitation Center was established and became Monmouth County’s only fully accredited comprehensive acute inpatient rehabilitation facility. In addition, Riverview’s Women’s Diagnostic Center was created to offer state-of-the-art mammography, stereotactic breast biopsy, ultrasound and bone densitometry in one comfortable, easily accessible location. The Booker Cancer Center began an affiliation with the renowned Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, which offers patients participation in over 80 ongoing clinical investigational studies for the prevention and treatment of cancer.
- With the new century came a $63 million expansion and renovation project at Riverview Medical Center. Starting in 2001, the “New View of Riverview” project became the largest and most comprehensive in the medical center’s 73-year history, enhancing both its quality of care and its patient care environment, as well as adding a variety of advanced medical technologies. As part of the major building project, the Century House, built in 1868, which was originally part of Riverview Medical Center, was relocated to Oakland Street to preserve its historic value and is now part of the Red Bank Charter School.
- The “New View of Riverview” was a magnificent transformation, made possible by the support of the generous donors, staff, physicians, volunteers, and the Borough of Red Bank. Completed in 2004, it boasted the new Riverview Rehabilitation Center, with 30 patient beds, expansive therapy gym, and inviting open-air atrium; the Booker Radiation Oncology Center, offering state-of-the-art cancer treatment technology such as intensity modulated radiation therapy and a CT Simulator; and a new Medical Day Stay Unit to conduct a variety of high-tech outpatient procedures. The project also created two new entrances: the J. Marshall Booker Pavilion lobby and the Blaisdell Pavilion lobby, with its incredible view of the Navesink River.
- Perhaps the largest and most complex phase of the project was the K. Hovnanian Pavilion, including the outstanding Alton A. Hovnanian Emergency Care Center and Critical Care Center. This new facility vastly improved each patient’s emergency room experience by providing more space, new emergency-certified physicians, physician assistants, and new technology.
- In 2005, Riverview became home to the CyberKnife®, one of the most revolutionary radiosurgery treatments in the world, which offers new hope to patients with inoperable tumors and lesions. As part of the Booker Cancer Center, the CyberKnife has positioned Riverview Medical Center as a leader in cancer care, services, and resources in the region.